Posts for tag: Crowns and Bridges
Modern dentistry has come a long way! With today's treatments, you can fix the oral problems that complicate everyday tasks, such as speaking and eating. Drs. Douglas, Chase, and Connor Pennino, your Barrington, IL, dentists, rebuild smiles with crowns and bridgework—read on to learn how they can help you too!
More about Crowns:
Crowns are basically caps that fit over the tooth to protect it. Crowns are made out of strong porcelain, zirconia, and ceramic, making it durable and aesthetically pleasing.
They usually go on top of severely decayed teeth that can no longer stand alone or are compromised. The crown reinforces teeth making them functional again. You can bite into your favorite foods with no worries.
Some advantages to crown treatment include their strength and durability, as mentioned above, as well as their appearance. Crowns match the rest of your teeth so that you don't need to worry about having mismatched teeth.
The procedure itself isn't complicated:
- Your Barrington dentist resolves any health-related issues first (e.g. gingivitis, cavities, etc.).
- The natural tooth is reshaped so that it can fit under the new crown using a drill (local anesthesia is used for this).
- Impressions of your teeth are prepared and then used to create a mold.
- The mold is sent to a lab where a custom crown is created.
- During your next visit, your dentist will permanently cement the new crown over your natural tooth.
More About Bridges:
Crowns are also used in bridges, which are essentially oral appliances that replace multiple missing teeth. Bridges consist of two crowns and a pontic (false tooth) in the center of the appliance.
The installation procedure involves:
- Creating custom crowns as mentioned in the previous section.
- Filing down natural teeth found at the ends of the dental gap.
- Cementing crowns over the natural teeth.
- Allowing the pontic to take its place in the center where there is a gap.
If you have any questions or concerns about crowns or bridges, call your Barrington dentists today! If you are a new patient, dial (224) 655-6384, and if you an existing patient, dial (847) 381-6222.
Don’t let damaged or missing teeth negatively impact your oral health.
While we know how frustrating it can be to end up dealing with a damaged tooth or tooth loss, know that our Barrington, IL, dentists, Drs. Douglas, Chase, and Connor Pennino are here to make sure that you get the restorative dentistry you need to achieve a healthy, confident smile. Crowns and bridges are just two of the most common dental restorations we place. Here’s what they do and how they can help you:
What is a dental crown?
A crown or dental cap is a hollow tooth-shaped restoration that is custom-made to fit over a tooth all the way to the gumline. It is cemented into place and designed to create a protective barrier around a natural tooth structure that has been damaged or compromised. Our Barrington, IL, dentist may recommend getting a dental crown if,
- You have a weak tooth
- You have a cracked or fractured tooth
- You have to undergo root canal treatment
- You have severe decay and a dental filling that can’t support the tooth
- You have a severely malformed, misshapen, or discolored tooth
- Your tooth has been excessively worn down over time by teeth grinding
- You are getting a dental implant to replace a missing tooth
- You are getting a dental bridge to treat your tooth loss
What is a dental bridge?
A dental bridge’s purpose is to replace a missing tooth and fill in its gap so as to prevent the rest of your natural teeth from shifting out of place. A bridge, just like a crown, is custom-made to fit your smile. It is made up of two crowns that sit on either side of a false tooth, also known as a pontic. The crowns are placed over healthy teeth that sit on both sides of the gap, allowing the false tooth to fill the gap and restore your smile.
Interested? Give us a call!
No matter whether you are dealing with dental issues or you just need to schedule a routine cleaning, turn to the smile experts at Pennino Family Dentistry in Barrington, IL. We would be happy to talk to you about the different services we offer—just call (224) 655-6384 if you are a new patient, or (847) 381-6222 if you are an existing patient.