Why Crowns and Bridges Are Right for You!
Modern dentistry has come a long way! With today's treatments, you can fix the oral problems that complicate everyday tasks, such as speaking and eating. Drs. Douglas, Chase, and Connor Pennino, your Barrington, IL, dentists, rebuild smiles with crowns and bridgework—read on to learn how they can help you too!
More about Crowns:
Crowns are basically caps that fit over the tooth to protect it. Crowns are made out of strong porcelain, zirconia, and ceramic, making it durable and aesthetically pleasing.
They usually go on top of severely decayed teeth that can no longer stand alone or are compromised. The crown reinforces teeth making them functional again. You can bite into your favorite foods with no worries.
Some advantages to crown treatment include their strength and durability, as mentioned above, as well as their appearance. Crowns match the rest of your teeth so that you don't need to worry about having mismatched teeth.
The procedure itself isn't complicated:
- Your Barrington dentist resolves any health-related issues first (e.g. gingivitis, cavities, etc.).
- The natural tooth is reshaped so that it can fit under the new crown using a drill (local anesthesia is used for this).
- Impressions of your teeth are prepared and then used to create a mold.
- The mold is sent to a lab where a custom crown is created.
- During your next visit, your dentist will permanently cement the new crown over your natural tooth.
More About Bridges:
Crowns are also used in bridges, which are essentially oral appliances that replace multiple missing teeth. Bridges consist of two crowns and a pontic (false tooth) in the center of the appliance.
The installation procedure involves:
- Creating custom crowns as mentioned in the previous section.
- Filing down natural teeth found at the ends of the dental gap.
- Cementing crowns over the natural teeth.
- Allowing the pontic to take its place in the center where there is a gap.
If you have any questions or concerns about crowns or bridges, call your Barrington dentists today! If you are a new patient, dial (224) 655-6384, and if you an existing patient, dial (847) 381-6222.